Ingredients: 800g chestnut kernel, 150g sugar, 70g corn oil, 30g butter.
Materials of moon cake skin: 150g medium gluten flour, 120g invert syrup, 40g peanut oil, 3G Jianshui. (Jian water can be prepared by mixing edible alkali and water in the ratio of 1:3)
Surface brush liquid: egg yolk water (1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon egg white)
The way of making wide style chestnut moon cake
1. First, make the chestnut paste. The chestnuts are shelled and the kernel is steamed.
2. Cool and beat into chestnut paste with blender.
3. Pour the chestnuts into the pot, add all the sugar, and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
4-5. Then add corn oil and butter in batches. Every time you fry until the oil is completely absorbed by the chestnut, add the next time.
6. Continue to stir fry over low heat. Slowly dry the water until the chestnut paste doesn’t stick to the pot. Form a ball in the pot. Turn off the heat and let cool. (the chestnut paste for moon cake must be fried as dry as possible, otherwise it will deform and crack when baking moon cake).
7. Then make moon cake skin. Pour the invert syrup, peanut oil and soap water into a bowl, and stir well with a manual egg beater.
8. Sift the flour into the syrup.
9. Mix well with a scraper to make dough. The freshly mixed dough is sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
10. Divide the filling and skin into the desired fraction. Generally speaking, the ratio of skin to filling is 2:8. However, I prefer to have a slightly thicker crust. This time, I divided the crust and filling into a ratio of 3:7 (i.e. 15g crust and 35g filling).
11. If the dough is a little sticky, you can pat a little flour on your palm, flatten a portion of the dough, put the filling core in the middle, and slowly push up with both hands, so that the skin of the moon cake is slowly spread out and wrapped on the stuffing, until the stuffing of the moon cake is completely wrapped into a ball, and carefully close the mouth. (after finishing, check where the stuffing is exposed. You can pinch a little skin properly to repair it. Try to make the thickness of the crust even and not expose the stuffing.)
12. Put the moon cake into the mould. Press the shape of the moon cake directly on the baking plate. After pressing out the shape, loosen it, shake it to the left and right, leave the cake on the baking tray, and lift the mold. (it’s easy to demould the moon cake by patting a little flour on the green body of the moon cake or wiping the moon cake mold with a paper towel dipped in oil.)
13. After all the moon cakes are wrapped, spray a little water on the surface. Put it into the oven preheated to 200 degrees, bake for 5 minutes first, slightly color and shape.
14. Then take it out and brush a thin layer of egg yolk water on the surface (when you brush the egg liquid, you should decanter the extra egg liquid on the edge of the bowl, and then brush the pattern on the surface of the moon cake gently, just brush the surface, not the side).
15. Put it in the oven again and continue to bake for about 15 minutes until the surface is golden.
After the moon cake is cooled, put it into a sealed box to return the oil for 1-2 days, and then enjoy it~~
1. Moon cake stuffing must be fried dry, otherwise it will cause deformation, cracking and skin breaking when baking moon cake.
2. Jianshui is an alkaline aqueous solution, which can neutralize the acidity of invert syrup, increase the color, ductility and oil return effect of cake skin. If you can’t buy it, you can mix the edible soda and water in a ratio of 1:3 (for example, 4G Jianshui can be made from 1g naomian mixed with 3G water).
3. Moon cake dough is sticky when it’s just mixed. You need to refrigerate it for enough time to let the flour absorb the syrup before it doesn’t stick.
4. When brushing the egg liquid, be sure to decant the extra egg liquid on the edge of the bowl, and brush the surface of the moon cake with a small amount, so that the pattern will be clearer.
5. Oil return is the biggest feature of cantonese moon cakes. The crust of freshly baked moon cakes is hard. After 1 or 2 days of storage, it will become oily and soft, and blend with the stuffing to produce the taste of skin and stuffing. Therefore, just out of the oven moon cakes do not rush to eat, to wait for oil to eat again, taste better.